HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY To you all today. Wow, what a treat for me to be able to write an email on the day itself. OH THE PRESSURE!
SOME OF YOU, perhaps many of you do not like or wish to celebrate Valentine's Day and so we welcome you hera ll day and the early evening before we close to celebrate yourself, your special one, others, the arts, culture, food and wine, cider and beer , waters , spirits, liqueurs, places, settings, moods, manners, mysteries, fantasies, seas, lands, skies, mountains, valleys, cul-de-sacs, avenues, boulevards, streets, cities, countries, days and nights, sunsets, sunrises, moons and stars, clouds, sun and sunshine, shadows, pastures, meadows, horses, rabbits, cats and dogs, treasures, reefs, corals, blue waters, oceans, streams, rocks and climbing, skiing, sledding, surfing, searching, wanderings, wonders, schooling, learning, reading, discussions, heart-to-heart conversations, .... you get the idea now : celebrate all your loves, lives, get rejuvenated, and .... AND :
COME TASTE Tonight Here with Joseph and Tony : we will celbrate all this and more, community, togetherness, love, laughter, smiling, giggling, ... and enjoying both sparkling and non-sparkling wines, dry and sweet tonight here, FREE, Join Us - what fun it all will be!
I AM ALL JAZZED UP about today as to me it is arranged and oversold and commercialized, and yet the pure original ideas of this day are good and just a great reminder to all of us to not forget that special one or ones in our lives!
SAW THE movie " Lion " with my wife on Sunday and loved it. Hard to watch but it sure was a great true story that I am glad to have seen told on screen and that shows the good in all of us, our eternal spirit that will continue on through good times and bad times.
I HAVE AGAIN walked our aisles and these are some of my many inspiriations for today and tonight, and the rest of our week, too.
IN BEER from SANTOS we have to offer :
1) Radler beer with fruit soda , a malt beverage specialty, from STIEGL, Salzburg, Austria, On Special for $10.99 a 6-pack of 12-ounce beers, with 3.2% alcohol by volume, this is a delight, refreshing, and a great way to start any special moments you all have in mind, or will be surprised with! Very pleasing, really specially nice.
2) " The LOVE " is a local wheat beer made in Charlottesville, Virginia, by the STARR HILL Brewery, On Special for $10.99 a 6-pack of 12-ounce bottles. A fine effort of more legance and finesse, nice to sip. Another nice way to start this special evening with that special one in your life.
3) ' Flesh & Blood ' IPA India Pale Ale, , 6-12-ounce cans from DOGFISH HEAD: " An honest to goodness India Pale Ale brewed with a bevy of real citrus including orange peel, lemon fresh & blood orange juice. " On Special for $14.99, refreshing, tasty, great for this cold weather with the snow flurries earlier with possibly more to join us later?!? Yes, si oui, bueno, magnifique, nice!
FROM Jagir To Celebrate Tonight & Thru Week!
1) Irish cream liqueur from BRADY'S made with the finest single malt Irish whiskey, produced in small batches, using local Irish ingredients, product of Ireland, qith 17% alcohol by volume, and On Special for $12.99! My daughter and wife say they are drinking Bailey's when they enjoy this at a $16 savings! I would say that is pretty good, and the taste is there to back it up, come get some and enjoy!
2) Black Joe Coffee Liqueur , made with the Mayorga Coffee Co. and the TWIN VALLEY Distillers in Rockville, Maryland, On Special for $25.99 a bottle : decadently thich, rich, oozing concentration depth and stick-to-your-mouth-and insides, such a wonderful way to relax, smile, enjoy, and combat the cold and wet outside , and give love a chance to flourish, blossom and be!
JoAnn our local rep will be here tasting it again with you all this coming Friday, February 17th, 2017, 5-8PM : join us for that as she and I taste you on some great wines and spirits!
3) 1812 Maryland Bourbon Whiskey , a handcrafted Spirits distilled in Rockville, MD from the TWIN VALLEY Distillers, On Special for $35.99 a bottle, and a richer, more intense and rich, yet refined and smooth taste once again that JoAnn will taste here this Friday with you all. It is like an Armagnac versus a Cognac - more fire and flame and warmth exploding onto your palate and tongue and impressing, pleasing, flattering all your senses, too.
4) Colorado Whiskey STRANAHAN'S On Special for $35.99, from $49.99 a bottle ( great product, great savings! ), from Denver, Colorado, : " Born in the fires of George Stranahan's old barn, our whiskey has always been hand-crafted exclusively with Colorado grains and Rocky mountain spring water. " It is double-distilled in small batches, a blend of four barleys and aged in virgin-charred American white oak barrels. The color, the bottle, the label, the bouquet alone once you open it and it whafts up into your nostrils and draws you closer to it, all as it should be, perfect purr-fect for Valentine's Dat today and tonight!
ALSO : available the ' Diamond Creek ' On Special for $35.99, take your pick?!?
5) Grain-distilled English vodka from THREE OLIVES is On Special at the great low price of $16.99 a bottle, 40% alcohol by volume, tried-and-true, stood the test of time, here at a great price, a handsome sleek beautiful bottle, labels, and perfect to celebrate tonight Valentine's with that special one in your life, or special ones if you are gathered together with friends as well.
WINES By Chris & Tony : Mostly Fruity, Off-Dry!
FOUR Dry wines to celebrate tonight :
1) Pinot Gris California's Carneros Valley, from ETUDE, a 2014 dry white On Special for $19.99 ( buy it tomorrow and SAVE 20% OFF this sale price and pay only $16.00 for the bottle!, regularly $27.99, so that is $11 off that price tomorrow! Call : 202-363-4265 if you cannot come and pick it up at your convenience. Perfect now for this cold and damp and possible snow? A real treat.
2) Rosat Cava from BOHIGAS , a Brut-Dry Spanish sparkling flavorful, full and rich on the palate, long finish, fills your senses almost to full, splendid, beautifully rich heartfelt heartstrong heart-warming color to flame and flesh and flatter us all! $20.99, will hold it's own to some dark chocolate, a treat! Enjoy tonight.
3) ' Radici ' from PALTRINIERI , Emilia Romagna, on Saturday afternoon with Robert Kennedy pouring was amazing from start-to-finish, a flavorful unfiltered dry rose , On Special for $19.99, that would be FABulous tonight with dark silky sparkling slicing-dicing-dashing DARK chocolate au-lait, too.
4) ' Essential Xarel-Lo ' indigenous dry sparkling spumante Spanish Cava from JUVE & CAMPS, $17.49 a bottle, ...
WILL OPEN and taste this tonight to celebrate Valentine's Day and all our loves, loves, special celebrations! Join me and Joseph tonight. Free wine-tasting , you are all invited! 5-8PM.
5) FRanciacorta Brut from ELISABETTA ABRAMI, only $27.49, a ridiculously-inexpensive price for all this amazing taste and flavor, the only sparkling wine that passionate wine pros thinks comes close to real French champagne, this is amazingly elegant, bright, silky, polished, love it!
OFF-DRY Treats To Celebrate Tonight :
THREE From Greece :
1) ' Deus ' SAMOS Greek Muscat, $10.99 a bottle for a golden expression, great value, too ... of peaches, apricots, honey and delicate nuts, yum!
2) Mavrodafni of Patras , a drier-sweet-style wine ( Rot Suss, ) , $10.99, from Greece, rich dried fruit flaavors that are thick, dense, seep and weep and wish and wonder us all to wander closer to where this is made, and sold to us all at such low prices for all that we get! Perfect with tarts and pastries and pies, and so many sweets tonight to flame our passions and falir our smiles.
3) ' Princess ' sweeter yet still not too swee-styled Syrah from Greece's EVANTIS Estate, a 2013 vintage-dated, 500ml with 14% alcohol by volume, $27.49 ( I have some here to taste you all on tonight, come taste! ) , it is magnificent, a real gem, a real star!
FOUR from ITALY :
1) ' Pineto ' Brachetto D'Acqui sweet ` a delicate pink color, rose blush that will make our smiles blush, too with satisfaction, lovely! $19.99 a bottle, 2014, with 5.5% alcohol by volume, a true pure delight from Italy's Piemonte region! 375ml bottle, perfect size.
2) ' Dolcemente ' Cabernet Sauvignon and Cesanese semi-sweet 375ml bottle, from outside of Rome, Italy , from Cantina GABRIELE, $6.49 a bottle, great to enjoy, richer, denser, more dark color and body than the delicate Brachetto!
3) Brachetto from Piemonte from CASCINA FONDA ' Bel Roseto ' 2015, $22.99, with 6.5% alcohol by volume, again silk and subtle refined delicate flavors with accents of strawberries, cherries, cranberries, so smooth , like a welcome feather's touch that makes you turn, enjoy, and want more.
4) " Voulet " sounds just like the French ' Voulez " which is the polite way to ask : " Do you want ... ?!? " , the rest is up to you both, as you sip this Italian Piemontese drier-sweet-styled red ( we have it open here, ask me for a sip when you join us here later ), ... $16.49, a favorite all year riound here, the women love it sooooooo!
SAVE ON WINE HERE each and every Wednesday! Call Chris or Tony ( me ) for more info, pay on Wednesdays and always save! 202-363-4265
Week's Tastings :
TONIGHT : ( 5-8PM ) : We have a Valentine's Day & Night, ALSO : Celebrate yourself, your love, your other loves, and enjoy, smile, relax, feel love and appreciated, too! WE have the ROSA REGALE sparkling red to taste here from BANFI, $21.99, that has always been so successful! Cheers, Join us as we taste you all on some fun, exciting wines for tonight and throughout this week, as many will still taste good three-five days after open!
WEDNESDAY , February 16th, 2017 ( 5-8PM ) : We have Narayan Campbell here to try some great wines for this cold and damp , breeze, wind, sunshine, bare trees, bristle, brrrrrrr ... will leave it all one big surprise for you all!
FRIDAY : February 17th, 2017 ( 5-8PM ) : TWO tastings :
WINE : With me, Tony, I will open the ETUDE Pinot Gris 2014, some of the JUVE & CAMPS Spanish sparkling wine, maybe a dry French rose or two?!? Will see, have a number of wines up my sleves, feeling a bit uncomfortable, so will unload and share them soon with you all!
SPIRITS : TWIN VALLEY Distillers in Pikesville, MD : We have Evony here to taste these with you all, join us, 5-8PM : may have up to five to try like the last time we did this with JoAnn! I mentioned two above, there is also the excellent Rye, and more.
SATURDAY, February 18th, 2018 ( 2-6PM ) : We have Andrew Stover here to work some magic with all his fine wine selections, still to be decided tomorrow. Stay-tuned for more soon.
THANKS For Everything, you all are the very very very best. We love and appreciate all that you do for us. Thanks. We could do none of this without your suppoert. Cheers,
JOIN US TONIGHT to celebrate life, love, loves, being here together, feeling appreciated and wanted. Take care, TONY 2/14/2017
WHAT FOLLOWS Below is an old email I wrote on February 14th, 2012, Valentines' Day way back then! Read and enjoy if you have time, check for current vintages, prices, availability, too! Cheers, thanks again, celebrate all your loves for yourself, for others, for that secial one, for the arts, culture, food and wine, place, setting, everything you love! Cheers, TONY 2/14/2017
That's okay, I have been thinking a whole lot about it even around the very sad passing of Whitney Houston over the weekend. That is truly a great loss and one that many of us are grappling with now. Of course her famous song written by Dolly Parton : " I Will Always Love You " is a perfect Valentine's Day song and last night I admit after making a pre-Valentine's Day dinner I did listen to it twice and my spirits rose each and every time that her voice rose. Both a broad smile and a tear welling up in the corner of my eye each time. This morning I was comforted and joyed and overwhelmed once again as I listened to her to her sing our national anthem, especially the last few words that rallied my spirits to such an excitement and joy.
IT'S OUR Monthly 2-Part Still ( Non- ) Wine-Sale Tomorrow and Thursday ( 2/ 15-16 / 2012 ) here at Cleveland Park Wines :
1) Buy any non-sparkling bottle of wine over $20 a bottle and SAVE 20% OFF the marked sticker price, even if the wine is already on sale.
2) BUY Any 12 Bottles of Still Wine ( includes sake, port, sherry, marsala, madeira, half bottles, magnums, box wines - ANYTHING bust sparkling wine and liquor ) and SAVE 20% OFF the marked sticker prices, even if they are already On Special! What a deal! SAVE, SAVE and SAVE some more here at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits.
WE STILL HAVE A FEW BOXES of Bailey and Saif's D.C. Chocolates here for Valentine's Day up at our register, starting at $10 a box, they are the real thing, distinct, flavorful and offer everything that one could want : all from the best ingredients and not with lots of filler and things that are less desirable ... the creme de la creme caramels and more ... dark chocolate ... oh yeah ...
SO : I have just walked the aisles here in the store in search of some PERFECT LAST-MINUTE Valentine's Day gifts and ideas to enjoy with that someone special in your lives. There are so many great ideas and I have gathered just a few now to share with you all.
MOSCATO D'ASTI from Cascinetta VIETTI, this Castiglione Tenella 2011 from Italy's Piemonte region ( $18.99 ) is one of the great examples of the perfect marriage and harmony and pleasures to be found in combining in one's mouth the flavors of peaches and nectarines, pears, and apricots ( YES : some of all of those flavors ) with accents of various nuts, and splashes -dashes of honey, too. It's an amazing experience when it gets to this level. There's also an amazing brightness and airiness that I love here - not heavy and cloying, refreshing. The flavors sort of pause and gain speed and emphasis and definition and clarity like Whitney's voice does as she sings " I Will Always Love You ". Drink some of this VIETTI 2011 Moscato and listen to Whitney sing at the same time and see if you do not taste and experience some of this harmony and correlation between the two? It's pretty amazing, really. It's worth every cent of this $18.99 and more.
WHEN MOZART WAS ALIVE he loved the Bricco Mondalino Dolce Stil Novo off-dry red made from the Malvasia Di Casorzo D'Asti grape of the Piemonte region of Italy as well. This is made by GAUDIO ( $28.99 ) and it's made from 100% Malvasia Rossa. It possesses a light, cherry color, it's fizzy, delicately sweet. I like it's elegance and finesse, makes me think of fresh rose petals, even of raspberries and blackberries. It depends on what part of the taste you are at at any given time : the start, the middle or the long and wonderfully lingering finish? I even get accents of red currants. The flavors, too are refreshing and airy and gravity-defying and they cleanse and refresh me rather than weigh me down. Chill slightly and tonight on Valentine's Day serve some strawberries or other berries; perhaps a simple fruit salad and desserts, of course : the simpler the better. Let the flavors speak for themselves and not fight amongst themselves.
BANYULS 2000 Vigne D'En TRAGINER ( $34.99 , 375ml bottle ) from EY is another " classic " Valentine's Day great off-dry red to enjoy with that someone special. There is no better, that's why it is still the great treat for this time of year. It's French and from the southwest of France and we want everyone to taste some of it. Every time that an article comes out on wines and beverages for Valentine's Day this is mentioned at the top of the list. You don't need a whole lot : just a little bit coats the palate and intrigues, teases and YES : PLEASES. You can close your eyes and tilt your head back and get that dreamy smile, you know that expression : like true love : goofy even and yet so marvelous and so wonderful and so all-consuming. It's a revelation, it's a special treat. You will taste all kinds of wonderful nutty flavors. Imagine all the nuts that you love in the world - all coming together to please. Imagine a bit of chocolate as an accent? It's there , faint but unmistakable.
BUT HEY, SOMETIMES we all need something that's even more subtle and delicate and polished and refined. So here's a lovely ethereal, silky, really refined taste that just skips daintily over your taste buds and like the swish of a skirt or the turn of a shoulder and the break of a smile can reduce us to that state that we all say : " they're in love ". WE all want to be in love. So here's a step in the right direction :
1 NEBBIOLO ICE 2010 from Virginia's BREAU Vineyards in Purcerville. It's got a deep amber color that is warming and welcoming all in itself. Made from grapes that are frozen after the harvest ( $24.99, 375ml bottle ) these Nebbiolo grapes were plucked from their frosty vines on the morning of the final day of harvest. High in natural sugar frozen and pressed quickly : the taste is a wonderful blend of nuts and peaches and pears and has really delicate splashes of honey, too. It's hard to pin-point : every time that you do the flavors change in your mouth and erase almost completely what preceded these " new " flavors. It's fun, it's a challenge to describe except to nod your heads and smile sheepishly and know that you are all enjoying the flavors perfectly. It's another treat and this one's from our own back yards. For more info go to : www.BreauxVineyards.com
. The residual sugar is 12%.
THEN THERE IS ALSO GREAT golden liquid flavors that come from apples! The FOGGY RIDGE " Pippin Gold " , $28.99 , : it's a delicious, deep and thick, viscous melting and simmering and brewing and story-telling of the Newtown Pippin apple with Grimes Golden, Ginger Gold and Golden Delicious apples. Wow, a little bit goes a very, VERY LONG way in flavors, harmonies, rhapsodies and it will be a great one for this romantic evening! For more info go to: www.foggyridgecider.com
, 18% alcohol by volume.
WE JUST HAD OWNER ANDREA of her family's CASA LARGA " Created for everyday enjoyment " - LILAC HILL Finger Lakes Table Wine ( a blend of Riesling and other grapes ) that is medium-sweet and only $10.99 a bottle. This is perfect to sip and enjoy later tonight as it is lighter and refreshing and not cloying at all. For more info go to : www.CasaLarga.com
or call : 585-223-4210
. Only 11% alcohol here so really easy on the system.
THEN YOU CAN SKIP ACROSS THE U.S. and discover the fabulous OKANOGAN Estate & Vineyards 2006 Ice Wine made from the Chardonnay grapes in the Orchard Hills Vineyard of Washington State. This half-bottle ( 375ml bottle sells for $37.99, go to : www.okanoganwines
. We just got some recently when Andrew Stover tasted Ean and me on it. We loved it, especially Ean. He's a big fan of these " sticky wines " and so our collection is definitely expanding as a result.
BUT THEN AGAIN, SOMETIMES a dry wine is in order as well and so for fun, quick last-minutes we have BOTH the MONTEFORTE D'ALPONE dry red and dry white blends from Veneto, Italy here for only $7.99 a bottle! Great flavors and taste and labels and blends. The red is a blend of RABOSO and MERLOT ( quite bold and flavorful and the Raboso flavors give nice spice and individula herb and pepper flavors while the Merlot acts like the flesh of the wine ) : and the dry white is a blend of GARGANEGA and SAUVIGNON BLANC grapes( it's dry and got some good body, bright, with some good acidity, too ).
THEN FOR A COUPLE OF TREATS in dry REDS:
Saperavi and Cabernet Sauvignon grapes blended together at CHATEAU MUKHRANI, this 2007 ( $17.99 ) is hearty and robust and very flavorful and best with a meal. It's from Georgia and it will be tasted here this coming weekend I believe, Friday the 17th, 2012 with our new French rep Virginie.
60-Year-Old Non-Irrigated vines in Apalta, this 2008 CLOS APALTA Limited-Release CASA LAPOSTOLLE dry red blend ( On Special at $58.99, regularly $79.99 ) is a real treat. WE also have some of the 2006 available at the same price. The 2006 was drinking like a dream the other day when Paulette tasted it with our customers. I would have bought a bottle myself at the time it was so good : that's how much I really enjoyed it. It surprised me a whole lot and that's always a great thing. I like being surprised especially when it's in a positive way like this!
BUY ANY OF THE WINES LISTED ABOVE TODAY / tonight and get another 10% OFF the sticker prices! SAVE and ENJOY some more!!!!!!
BUT WAIT A MINUTE : Valentine's Day is not simply about wine, it's also about beer and liquor, too!
SANTOS HAS SOME WONDERFUL BEERS :
1) Imperial Choklat Stout ( $8.99 a 1 Pt. 6 Fl. Oz. bottle, southerntierbrewing.com
) from the Blackwater Series : " The Popol Vuh, the sacred book of the Maya, unfolds a complex web of mystery around a beverage known as xocoatl ( ch-co-atle ). " This would be great tonight on Valentine's Day!
2) Lips Of Faith Series ( with a name like that? and for Valentine's Day?!? ) Biere de Mars, Ale Brewed With Spices ( On Special for $6.99 a bottle, 1 Pt. 6 Fl Oz. , alcohol 6.2% by volume , Fort Collins, Colorado, New Belgium Brewing , www.newbelgium.com
) " is a celestial collision of orange-hued ale, citrusy lemon Verbena, and unidentified flying brettanomyces, launch to new belgium.com
". Great label, a great " must-try " tonight.
3) Baba Black Lager Usda Organic from United Brewing Co. in Salt lake City ( On Special for $9.99 a 6-pack of 12-ounce bottles , www.unitedbrewing.com
) is " new and exciting " and with a cool label.
4) XXX Weisse ( another great name for Valentine's Day! ) from RIEDER Feinste Innviertler Braukunst ) is a malt liquor, 6.5% alcohol by volume ... and also very new and very exciting. Check it out! It's a " supercharged Hefe-Weizen which is equal to a Weizen Bock beer. Very drinkable, yet rich and mouth filling. ... a true specialty from the Rieder Brewery ".
LIQUOR / LIQUEUR From RAVI :
1) Elit STOLICHNAYA Ultra Luxury Vodka ( $58.99, 750ml bottle , 40% alcohol by volume, ) is also kosher for Passover. What a treat. Great bottle and package andpresentation.
2) Gin, Gold River " Traditional " ( $26.99, 47% alcohol by volume, Batch # 10 ) is distilled and bottled by Maine Distilleries, LLC. Freeport, Maine, USA is made from 100% neutral spirits, distilled from Maine potatoes.
3) LINIE AQUAVIT Fabrik Maerke ( $27.99 ) from Norway ) is " taste that really travels ". From Oslo, for more information go to : www.linie.com
. We are thrilled to have it here : there's a real demand for these aquavits and there has never been enough of them here in Washington D.C. to satisfy the demand. Cheers.
4) Irish Whiskey Special Reserve from MILLARS ( Adam Millar & Company , On Special for $29.99, 40% alcohol by volume , for more info go to : www.AHardyUSA.com
), was established in 1843 , and is from Rivertown, Dundalk. Co. Louth. It's just arrived here this past week. I still have not tried it.
WEEK'S TASTINGS :
TONIGHT : Valentine's Day : I will have at least one red open to celebrate if you all come by and need some last-minute treats. I may do more, it depends on how many of you all show up to start celebrating here before going on to a dinner ...
Friday, February 17th, 2012 ( 5-8PM ) : We have Virginie coming to pour a selection of excellent Georgian wines that include at least one rose and one white and two or three reds, too. Discover the Saperavi grape with Virginie.
Saturday, February 18th, 2012 ( 2-6PM ) : Chris Bartha of Cobblestone Cellars will be back to taste some of the really fine COOPER Vineyard wines of Virginia that include the great chocolate-infused " Noche ", $18.99 Norton grape - PERFECT FOR TONIGHT!!! , as well as a killer Viognier and two great reds : a Petit Verdot and a Reserve Norton. Chris will also pour some of the HANS WIRCHING dry German rose trocken from Franken. It's a Rudi Wiest selection and sells for $14.99.
I AM SURE I HAVE FORGOTTEN SOMETHING but it's time to post this so you can/ may all read it and get here in time for all your Valentine's Day needs! We can help, we want to help you! Check out web page : www.clevelandparkwine.com, we are also on Facebook at : Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits and follow my blog at : chatwine.blogspot.com, chatpoetry.blogspot.com.
GET OUR BAILEY & SAIF D.C. Chocolates here for tonight and for Valentine's Day. Starting at $10 a box ... caramels, dark chocolates, ginger and sea salts and more natural flavors ... distinct and personal and delicious!
THANKS AGAIN for everything ... Happy Valentine's Day Today : come by tonight for last-minute things and then again tomorrow for our TWO-DAY Still-Wine TWO-PART SALE. Read about it above and SAVE 20% On Your Still Wine Purchases Wednesday and Thursday ( 15th-16th, 2012 ) here at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits! Cheers, TONY